The lymphedema of the upper limbs is an abnormal swelling in the arms and hands that usually occurs after the treatment or breast cancer surgery. Lymphedema occurs when the lymph vessels of the arm lose the capability of flowing the lymph. This phenomenon may occur months or years after surgery or treatments such as chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
That is why Barcelcom together with Fibrenamics - University of Minho, has developed two types of multifunctional sleeves for lymphedema treatment: the therapeutic sleeves and the diagnostic sleeves.
Therapeutic sleeves – Advantages
Incorporation of the sleeves on clothing
● Unnoticeable to others
● Easier to dress/undress
Better comfort (advanced materials)
● More ergonomic mobility
● Avoid skin lesions (eg blisters and calluses);
● Total Fixation (does not create folds or curls at the ends)
● Increased thermal comfort
● softer touch
Diagnostic Manga – advantages
● Monitorization during long periods of time
● Data transfer using wireless technology
● Higher autonomy, superior to the period of monitorization required
● Graphical analysis software for evaluating the evolution of the perimeters.
The Pradex project – elastic sleeves for lymphedema (QREN Project 2011/001843), developed by the company Barcelcom (Portugal), was co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (FEDER) through the National Strategic Reference Framework (QREN).